ALL INDIA RADIO
104, Akashvani Bhavan,
New Delhi-110001No.33/11/81-S.VII Dated: 10.4.1981
Subject: Study Group on the Cadre Structure of Staff Artists of All India Radio.
Ministry of Information & Broadcasting , vide order No.45011/26/81-B(A) dated 20th March 1981 have set up a study group under the chairmanship of the Joint Secretary (Broadcasting) to undertake a stydy of the structure of the various categories of Staff Artists of A.I.R. with a view to rationalize the structure and improving their promotional prospect , etc. The terms of reference of the Study Group are as under:-
(i) To undertake a study of the cadre structure of various categories of staff artists in All India Radio and make suitable recommendations regarding rationalization of the structure;
(ii) To look into the existing promotional avenues available to staff artists and make suitable recommendations for their improvement in case the existing avenues are found inadequate;
(iii)To look into the fee scales of various categories of staff artists existing and also as they were in the past –from time to time, and suggest measures for their rationalization, revision, etc. , appropriately; and
(iv) To consult the representatives of the various Staff Associations/Unions of Staff Artists of All India Radio and take their views into account in its report.
2. Heads of stations/offices of A.I.R. should intimate the above to all the local Unions/Associations of Staff Artists (even though not recognized)and inform them that if they wish so, they could submit their representations, if any, relevant to the terms of reference cited above for consideration by the Study Group. Ten copies each of such representations from the Associations/Unions should be sent so as to reach the undersigned by 25th April, 1981.
3. A copy of this memo should also be prominently displayed at the station/office of A.I.R. for information of the Staff Artists.
4. Receipt of this memo may please be acknowledged and a certificate given by the heads of stations/offices to the effect that this memo had been circulated to the office bearers of all the Associations/Unions of Staff Artists at the station /office and that a copy of this has been displayed on the notice board for information of all the Staff Artists.
Member-Secretary of Study Group
Director of Programmes (per)
Copy of Ministry of I & B’S LETTER
No.45011/26/80-B(A) dated, 3rd May, 1982.Sir,
After carefully considering the question of converting the staff artists of All India Radio/Doordarshan as Government servants,the Government have taken the decision detailed in the following paragraphs :-
I.STAFF ARTISTS TO BE TREATED AS ‘ARTISTS’
2.The Government has now decided that the following categories of staff artists of All India Radio and Doordarshan will be treated as ‘Artists’ ;-
All India Radio Doordarshan
1.Announcer/Compere 1.News Presenter
2.Newsreader-cum-Translator 2.Presentation Announcer (Sr.)
3.Newsreader 3.Presentation Announcer (Jr.)
5.Music Composer 5.Music Composer
(Indian language and
3. A separate order will be issued regarding fee scales and other terms and conditions of service for ‘Artist’ indicated in para 2 above; thereafter they will be required to exercise an option in writing within a period of two months indicating their willingness or otherwise to be treated as ‘Artists’. The option will be invited by Director General, All India Radio and Director General Doordarshan. The option once exercised will be final.
4. The staff artists who exercise the option to be treated as ‘Artists’ will be eligible for pension. The pension scheme that would be applicable to such artists would be worked out and announced along with terms and conditions of service referred to in para 3 above.
5. Those staff artists who do not elect to become ‘Artists’ will be allowed to retain their existing grades and fee scales and continue on the present terms and conditions of service as per their respective contracts. Therefore, they will not be eligible for pension.
II.STAFF ARTISTS TO BE TREATED AS GOVERNMENT SERVANTS
6. The categories of staff artists of All India Radio and Doordarshan on long term contracts not covered under those mentioned in para 2 above and who have not attained the age of superannuation i.e. 58 years as on 28.2.82 , will be treated as “Government servants” and the conditions of service applicable to Government servants would become applicable to them subject to the following conditions :-
(a) The Staff Artists will be required to exercise an option in writing within a period of two months to be invited by Director General, AIR and Director General, Doordarshan indicating their willingness or otherwise to be treated as “Government Servants” . The option once exercised will be final.
(b) Such of the Staff Artists, who opt to be treated as Government Servants will be screened by duly constituted screening committees. The screening committees will take into account their,(i)qualifications,(ii)experience and (iii)record of service and ascertain whether they are fit to be treated as Government servants. The committees will also assess their suitability for the purpose of fitting them into corresponding scales of the regular civil establishment.
7. The Screening Committee for placement/fitment in Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’ posts will be presided over by a nominee of the Union Public Service Commission. For Group ‘c’ posts, the composition of the screening committee will be (i) Deputy Director General (Administration) , (ii) Deputy Director General (Programmes) , (iii) Director of Programmes (Personnel) in All India Radio and (i) Deputy Director General (Programme and Training) , (ii) Deputy Director General (Programmes) and (iii) Controller of Programmes in Doordarshan.
8. Those Staff Artists who are found fit to be treated as “Government Servants” will be entitled to the same pensionary benefits as are applicable to Government servants in the regular service. They will, however, not to be entitled to any special benefits as at present available to them as Staff Artists.
9. Those staff artists who do not elect or are not found fit to become ‘Government Servants’ or those who have attained the age of 58 on or before 28.2.82 and have been allowed to continue under the present contractual terms will be allowed to continue under the present terms and conditions of service as per their respective contracts. They will not , therefore, be entitled for pension.
10. The conditions of service as indicated in the above paragraphs for staff artists to be placed in either of the categories i.e. , ‘Artists’ or ‘Government Servants’ would be given effect to from 6th March, 1982.